Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Tragedy and heroism

Dear all,
Sadly, a little boy, Nitai Ruyami, was killed in a fire in his home in Keshet, a yishuv in the Golan. He and his sister were pulled out of their burning house by a neighbor. Eliyah, his 11-year-old sister, is still in serious condition at Rambam Hospital in Haifa.
This quote is from HaAretz: "I heard the mother crying for help," said Amichai Gil, 24..."I woke up and ran outside with my father. Several people and I tried to enter the second floor, by the stairs, but it was impossible. The house was full of very thick smoke. We thought we could get in through the window. Someone brought a ladder, we climbed...At some point I understood that every minute was important to save the two children. I covered my face with a wet towel and went inside. It was impossible to see anything. I felt around until I felt one of the children's beds. I took the child and passed it to the people waiting at the window, and I went to search for the other one. I eventually found the child on the floor and brought it out too."
I am utterly moved by this story, and think it a) should be front page, and b) the headline should have been, "Neighbor risks life for kids." Because Keshet is a lot like Cochav HaShachar, I can see it all happening. For those who want to doven for Eliyah's recovery, her name is Eliyah bat Ayelet.

No comments: